Bethenny Frankel is having some trouble mentally recovering after a very scary allergic reaction forced paramedics to her door last month.
Frankel is allergic to fish, which led to a terrifying incident last month when her boyfriend, Paul Bernon, gave her a cup of miso soup that she didn’t realize had some fish element to it. Now she says she’s having trouble living her life the same way for fear that something similar will happen.
“It’s crazy. I don’t like to be alone anymore,” she told Dr. Oz on his daytime talk show (per Page Six). “I don’t want to be at restaurants alone, and I’m not that type of person. It’s very scary. It changes your whole entire life.”
In a clip from the interview that can be viewed below, Frankel describes the harrowing incident in detail, noting that her allergic reaction started small.
She explained that she ate the soup when she noticed her hands feeling itchy. Her boyfriend offered to go get her a Benadryl to counteract any allergic reaction, but things escalated quicker than expected.
“I felt a little tickle in my throat, something seemed a little off — not crazy at all — less than before in my life. By the time he came back, I was unconscious. He said I was drooling. I was unconscious and he managed to get a Benadryl down my throat while calling 911. Then, I guess 15 minutes later, I woke up disoriented,” she said. “There were cops. There were medics, and then I vaguely remember them taking me on a stretcher into the ambulance, but thinking, ‘I’m having a stroke and dying.’”
As previously reported, the star revealed that she was rushed to the hospital due to the allergy on Twitter.
“I have rare fish allergy. Sun,I had soup,itched & was unconscious for 15 mins then to ER & ICU for 2 days w BP of 60/40.I couldn’t talk,see, thought I had a stroke & dying & told if 5 mins later I’d be dead. 911 & EPI saved me.I’ll never not carry an #epipen,” she wrote at the time.
The star has become an advocate for trying to convince airlines to stop serving fish to accommodate people like her that may be allergic.